Sunday 6 January 2013

Soy Glazed Salmon with Rice and Peas


When I was growing up my Mum had this thing about getting as much omega 3 in me as possible. I’d known for a long time that I wanted to do something in the City – the plan was to be a career woman – and it wasn’t going to happen without getting good grades. So from SATs onwards my Mum began plying me with omega 3 in the form of brain boosting tablets and lots of oily fish!

Fortunately for me I love fish!

Week in, week out we would have salmon in some form – sometimes twice! I must know a hundred and one ways to cook salmon. On this blog alone there are recipes for Salmon with Dill and Creme Fraiche, Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Tagliatelle and Asian Style Salmon with Red Onion and Cucumber Dipping Sauce and Warm PakChoy Salad

This one is slightly different. It’s hot and spicy yet sweet at the same time, and the steamed rice and peas brings a whole lightness to the dish to balance it out.

When I was growing up this was my favourite way to have salmon as it was the most exciting way that my parents would cook it. You can only have baked salmon and new potatoes so many times! If I was really lucky my Dad might come home from work with little extras like prawn crackers or spring roles. Dad’s way of treating us has ALWAYS been with food! If we had a curry he might bring home poppadums, samosas or onion bhajis when he was in a really good mood!

Even without the little extras though, this recipe packs a punch with the heat from the chilli and the zing of the lemon. For those of you who have resolved to cook more exciting things from scratch, this will certainly jazz up a normal weekday meal.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...