Sunday 20 January 2013

[Shake up your wake up] Creamy Mushrooms on Toast

Farmhouse Breakfast Week 2013 will take place 20th – 26th January
Disclosure: I have not been paid to do this post...I genuinely belive in the power of breakfast and support the campaign. It's also a great excuse to share my latest breakfast recipe with you!


 
Some of you may remember a post I did last year about the Shake Up Your Wake Up Campaign. The campaign is all about trying to educate the general public about the importance of eating breakfast. Each year they host the Farmhouse Breakfast Week where you too can get involved with spreading the word about breakfast. For example, did you know that one in ten people skip breakfast thinking that it will help them to lose weight, yet breakfast skippers are twice as likely to reach for a bag of crisps mid-morning! (And crisps definitely are not on the diet!)

Now I should admit...I’m not a big breakfast eater, but it is something I have been trying to work on. Even as a child I never really got on with breakfast. I’m not a cereal eater nor do I like toast as I hate all processed bread with a passion! As a result my parents used to do anything to get breakfast into me. At one stage I had had scotch pancakes with golden syrup every day. This went on for so long I even ended up getting sick of them! So surprise, surprise the thought of breakfast in the morning tends to make me feel sick. I also think part of the problem is that I wake up at 6:30 and am out of the door by 7:30 with no time to spare for putting together a breakfast other than the toast or cereal I despise so much.
So this leaves me with a bit of a problem.

Because I’ve been feeling so lethargic without a morning meal, I’ve started to listen to my body and I now buy porridge with honey on the way to law school each morning. The days I don’t manage to nip in to prêt I really notice the difference. So, I may not be a breakfast lover, but I most definitely agree with independent dietician Nigel Denby who has commented on this year’s study saying: “People who eat breakfast have better concentration, more energy and tend to be less stressed. They are also less likely to be overweight.”
If these aren’t good reasons to eat breakfast I don’t know how else to convince you...except with a simple yet scrumptious breakfast recipe.

Now I’ve said already that I’m not a massive fan of toast. BUT, if it’s from a good crusty loaf and topped with something yummy then I will more often than not give in. (Over Christmas I had toast almost every day topped with an amazing Rhubarb and Ginger preserve that had so much zing, you really noticed a spring in my step for the rest of the morning.)
These mushrooms on toast are much more warming and comforting. Their creamy, mellow flavour is extremely indulgent, so perhaps best reserved for Sunday mornings. Though, should you have the time to whip them up every day you won’t have to worry about your waistline, just go easy on the butter and use reduced fat crème fraiche as I did!

But enough trying to convince you, here’s the recipe:








I think part of the challenge for Shake Up Your Wake Up is convincing people that it is worth changing both their routines and their eating habits, which are often two aspects of a person’s life that they are reluctant to change. I’ve not quite cracked it myself yet, as when summer comes I won’t be able to eat a big bowl of steaming hot porridge every day! What I will turn to yet I am unsure, but one thing remains the same, I know now that breakfast really is the most important part of the day.
 
So, how many of you feel the same about breakfast?





Does the thought of a meal in the morning make you feel sick, or do you too prefer home cooked comforts which just take too long to cook? And what will you do for lunch in the summer when it gets hot!?
Perhaps you don’t need convincing at all. Are you a breakfast lover? What do you eat each day?

If you want to join in the Shake Up You Wake Up campaign, you can find plenty of resources on their website. People will also be sharing their breakfast recipes all week using the hashtag #BreakfastWatch.
Why not join in! I’ll be tweeting too. Follow me at @KitchenGoddess3 or on facebook.


Total price based on Asda’s own unless otherwise specified:

Warburtons wholemeal bread 10p, oyster mushrooms 63p, butter 1p, olive oil 3p, garlic 1p, thyme 2p, crème fraiche 30p = £1.10


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...