Sunday 28 October 2012

Pumpkin Cake Pops


It’s nearly Halloween! The only time of year where I can dress up as a Goth again and not feel guilty! For those of you who don’t know, I used to dress rather “alternative” – I still listen to rock and heavy metal, in fact I’m going to Warped Tour in just over a week, but it’s no longer acceptable to dress all in black. A shame I know! But, Halloween’s more than just a good excuse for fancy dress, it’s also a great excuse to do some themed baking, and this year is no exception.


Today I’m bringing to you Pumpkin Cake Pops. I hope no one is disappointed, but they are NOT made with pumpkin puree, instead they are ginger cake with orange flavoured candy melt coating! A really fun flavour combination. (See also my top tip just below the recipe for making this recipe a little more “adult”.)

The idea was simple...make cake pops on a stick that looked like pumpkins; they would be perfect for Halloween parties being thrown all over the world. However, there were a few hiccups along the way. First of all, the flavour combination although DELICIOUS meant for a rather heavy cake pop and they simply wouldn’t stay on the stick no matter what I tried. So, rather than being on a stick, I simply made stand alone pumpkins which are just as cute and fun!




Also, I used orange flavoured candy melts instead of chocolate to cover them. Unfortunately I had to buy way more than I should have needed as the first lot burnt (despite following the instructions) and then the second lot bizarrely got a pale white coating, the kind that chocolate gets when it is old.

I have spoken to Baking Mad/Silver Spoon but they assure me it’s me who’s using them wrong! (Unlikely considering I followed the exact same method THIRD time round and they were just fine.) Has anyone else had any problems with these candy melts?! Maybe it is me who’s in the wrong?

But, enough about the issues I faced, fortunately I went through all the trials and tribulations so you didn’t have to! This recipe is fool proof and you’re guaranteed to have tasty cake pops that will impress your guests.
 




Top tip: these taste FAB with a dash or two of dark rum in the cake pop mix, for those adult Halloween parties.

You can choose to make your ginger cake and butter cream from scratch, but I truly recommend using shop bought! That way, the process of making tasty and beautiful cake pops is just that little bit easier and enjoyable as you are guaranteed at the level of quality of the cake pop itself. For the ginger cake, I used two McVities Jamaican Ginger Cakes, and this is reflected in the pricing. I also bought Betty Crocker’s new Buttercream (where in the past I have used her “Frosting”.) This gave a much better texture!





Pricing (based on Asda’s own unless otherwise specified)
McVities Jamaican Ginger Cakes £2, Betty Crocker’s Vanilla Buttercream 47p, Silver spoon orange candy melts £1.47, writing icing £1

Total (roughly 15) = £4.94
Per pumpkin = 33p

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...